Oberhofen Castle park
The park, like the castle, was conceived and shaped by its owners. Around 1850, the aristocratic Pourtalès family began the transformation of the former tree garden, which they partitioned: on the one hand, an inner castle area with geometric flower parterres, on the other, a park with paths, lawns and formations of trees. Its outlook today is shaped by the conifers, deciduous trees and four exotic redwoods.
The outstanding walkway, made from hornbeam, evokes romantic emotions and provides shade in the summer. Both the Swiss cross and the conifers by the shore date back to William Maul Measey, the last person to own the castle.
A beautiful park needs a lot of care and in this one there are buildings related to the garden. Of note is the house of gardener dating from 1855–56 and the orangery, in use since 1862. The children’s chalet from 1853 was made for the count’s children, as indicated by the inscription on the south facade.
The landscaped park of Oberhofen Castle is an unrivalled paradise that invites you to linger and appreciate it. For children, there’s a play area on the gravel court near the pergola surrounded by linden trees.
Link to Gartentexte by Sarah Fasolin (Swiss garden guide – in German)
OPENING HOURS – LAKESIDE PATH
1 March – 30 March 9 am – 5 pm
From 31 March: see Castle park opening hours
OPENING HOURS – CASTLE PARK
31 March – 11 May9 am – 7 pm
12 May – 10 August 9 am – 9 pm
11 August – 20 October 9 am – 8 pm
21 October – 22 December 9 am – 5 pm
Free access to the park
Dogs are not allowed in the castle or the park, with the exception of guide dogs, though they are welcome in the restaurant.